Sunday, January 4, 2009

"modern indulgences: coffee and cellphones"


december 7th

First day of real snow. I found myself this morning wandering down the main drag in Itaewon. Around 9:30am I asked the cab to stop, "Yogio," (meaning, "over here). I sighted a Dunkin' Donuts and delightedly pranced in. The Dunkin' Donuts here are more like Starbucks, in the sense that they have a cafe atmosphere and are more chill hang-out spots then drive-through necessities. In the U.S. you rarely see people having social occasions in D&Ds, and those that do are, I dare say, a bit down-and-out or somehow not part of the 9-5 working world. Here, very nicely dressed people have evening chit-chat at dunkin-d's, absorb the English and foreigners also in company, and seem particularly happy with themselves for choosing to be there at that moment. This particular Dunkin' Donuts had a bakery, I mean full-on exquisitely decorated cakes and pastries... nothing like our bottom-of-the-barrel, bagels-and-donuts-only bakery we'd see back in the states. A coffee at D&D's here costs about $2.75 USD, so comparatively priced to back home. They had bagels with real cream cheese. Needless to say, I was just as happy with my choice as the other Koreans seemed to be conversing near by.

This is also the first day I really started calling people back home. I just found out that it only costs me about .12 won / minute to call back home, about $.09 USD. I talked to my old roommates back home who were just getting started on their Saturday evening antics and was greeted by a speakerphone rush of screams as they happen to be with a few of my other friends as well. It was a great surprise for all parties, I believe.

There's something to be said for this invention called the telephone. It's marvelous in some ways, makes you feel like you're just next door, when in fact, in this case, on the other side of the world with a difference of fifteen or so time zones. I was overjoyed to hear my friends familiar voices and also to hear how much they miss me and wish for me to come home. However, although endearing and precious, it actually makes it worse in some ways. Talking to people makes me more homesick. The first month here I was totally fine and missed people vaguely but not like now. The second month is much tougher. Going on my third month soon, and with Christmas approaching, it's getting more difficult to not think of everyone back home, what they're doing, and what great times I'm missing with them.

"Both... at the same time." This is one of my new catch phrases, or not so new. On the one hand, I feel like I'm starting to feel very settled and comfortable here. I have a bit more routine and know how to get around a lot better, have some cool friends here, can say a few things in Korean, etc. But I'm also just beginning to want to go home. Both, at the same time...



new words/phrases i've learned in korean:

It's ok/it's cool/no problem = con chan eh oh
cute = ky-ah-woh
I'm sorry = Mienahamnida or Mi-en-eh-oh or jay-sung-hom-ni-da
cigarette = tam-bay
cheers = com-bay

In an effort to expand my Korean, I asked my students to name words that were the same in English and Korean. I'm not positive these are all right, but here's the list we made:


words that are the same or similar in english and korean (according to my eight-year-old students):

DVD
pizza
elevator
taxi
escalator
CD
television
banana
tomato
cider
cola
cracker
cheese (cheegeh)
Canada
France
air con (air conditioner)
board
alphabet
kangaroo
ice cream
cocoa (cacoa)
chicken
camera
block
tube
Rudolph
tree (taree)
pickle
jump (jumpah)
cherry
lemon
cereal
guitar
chocolate
steak
Halloween
Christmas
yogurt (yogurt-eh)
oven
kiwi
schedule
cheetah
pen
hot-pak
Santa
marker
hairstyle
cup
cube
building
apartment
drum
hamburger
ham
manicure
McDonald's

1 comment:

Adam said...

"Both... at the same time."

I understand you here, completely.