Monday, January 19, 2009

"ready for anything"




a.k.a "All-the-time Eva"
continued

It's a good thing I am as I am, being All-the-time Eva and all, because working at my school you really do have to be ready for anything.


january 15th

Bright and early one morning this week, I had my first bodily-function mishap in my classroom: (not my mishap, a student's...)

Kids: "Teacher, Teacher, Ricky's tummy hurts."
Me: "He'll be fine." ( I don't even look at Ricky as I am busy doing something else. I learned my lesson there, but, in my defense, I am used to kids saying they feel sick every other second in hopes that I'll send them to the nurse. Some things are the same across cultures, huh?)

10 seconds later

Me: "Oh shit!" (on the inside). On the outside, "Ricky! .....Don't move."
Ricky: staring blank-faced, as always, with hands, sweater, pants, chair, and floor covered in some nasty seaweed breakfast throw-up.
Me: I try my best to start helping him clean up, over and over again saying, "Don't move," and holding back the urge to throw-up my own still-only-half-digested stomach of soju from the night before. Again, I say "Don't move, Ricky. I'll be right back." I go out in the hallway where one of the hall moms are supposed to be, but noone's there. I go back into class and yell, "Kids, go find help!" They were more successful than I. I smelled puke for the rest of the day. Awful.


january 19th


This morning,

Supervisor, Ricky : "Some of you might know that Wendy [director of my school] has left G.D.A. She left for personal reasons. She left on Friday, so I'm sorry she couldn't say goodbye to you."

We all know that, in fact, Wendy was asked to leave. Ricky, previously my brand-new immediate supervisor, is now instead going to be the new director of the school.

The point is that there is a substantially high turn-over rate in our school. Part of this may have been due to Wendy herself. Now that she is gone, changes will definitely occur. Noone can say for sure whether things will get better or worse from here, or worse before they get better. I'd really like to just finish my term so I can visit home, not resign with a new school. I'm crossing my fingers that we'll have job security with the new management team in place, but in reality, I have to be ready for anything.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Eva Eva Eva.
Today is yesterday's post's tomorrow.
Inauguration day here in the states. Whoot-Whoot!!!
I really really enjoy your blogs. Not nearly as much as I enjoy you live and in person, but whatareyagonnado? Suffice it to say, I wish you were "everywhere-and-all-the-time eva".
Call me! The number I have for you in one that you can't receive incoming calls on???
I LOVE YOU!!!!!

Travis Baker said...

hey, this is just another bullet on your resume, right?

- Certified in seaweed puke cleanup